Haiti Education Fund
Education is one of the keys to bringing hope to Haiti and supporting its long-term development needs.
Our Haiti Education Fund provides tuition for school children in Haiti. The program was created by our Haiti mission team members who wanted to do more to help the many children who cannot afford the annual tuition required by 90% of the primary and secondary schools in Haiti.
- Every donation of $100 covers one year of tuition for a child.
- 100% of donated funds go to tuitions. There are no administrative costs.
- We have contacts on the ground in Haiti who have identified children who need assistance to go to or remain in school.
Our longer term goal is to join forces with other area churches to work with Haiti toward achieving sustainable quality education for all Haitian children.
DONATE to the Haiti Education Fund. Tax Deductable. Make checks payable to Mount Olivet UMC; write Haiti Education on the memo line.
Facts About Education in Haiti
- Primary schools enroll 67% of eligible school-age children, of whom less than 30% reach 6th grade. Secondary schools enroll 20% of eligible-age children.
- Haiti’s literacy rate is about 53% - well below the 90% average literacy rate for Latin American and Caribbean countries.
- Private schools educate 90% of Haiti's children. Churches operate most of them. NGOs or the local communities manage the rest.
- Haiti faces shortages in educational supplies and qualified teachers, and the rural population remains underrepresented in the country’s classrooms.